Monday, January 21, 2013

Goodbye Sydney!


Friday began with some record heat- 46 degrees and high humidity!  I love the heat and warm weather, but this was unbearable.  I didn't even want to leave the house so I spent the day finishing my packing and watching online TV downstairs in front of the AC.  It was a long and boring day but there was no way I was going outside.

Tonight's plans were to get a nice photo with the Opera House and have a Farewell Dinner with Christina and Josh.  Just as Joel got home from work at five there was a storm and it started pouring rain.  Luckily it had stopped when we left but it didn't change the temperature at all.  We made it to Circular Quay no problem and got our pictures.  Thanks to the random photog stranger for actually doing a good job with these!



The original place we were going for dinner had no AC!  We spent half an hour walking around the Rocks finding somewhere cool that didn't have ridiculous prices.  Finally found a little tucked away place just off George St. and had an awesome dinner.  We sat and chatted with Christina and Josh forever- a little sad as I don't know when we'll see them next!  They are taking a super yacht course in March and are hoping to get placement on a North American yacht somewhere.  I hope so too!  Christina's family all live in Northern California so at least when they go for a visit we can easily fly to them.





After our dinner it had finally cooled down a bit.  Joel had something very romantic planned- putting a Love Lock up on the Harbour Bridge.  (Read more about that here).   Aw!  So we walked across the bridge (my feet were killing me- six inch stilettos is not such a great idea for bridge walking) and found the perfect spot across the water overlooking the Opera House.  Now even though we are leaving, a special piece of us will always stay behind in Sydney.



This was the best ending for my time in Sydney.  The first time I visited Sydney my first stop was Circular Quay and it's amazing views at night, so it was fitting that this was also my last view and memory of the city.

Our train ride home was very delayed.  We are five stops home from Circular Quay, which is usually a fifteen minute journey.  Today the trains were all delayed because of the extreme weather.  It took over an hour to get home.  The trains were moving at a snail's pace and sometimes stopping in the middle of a tunnel (which really gave me anxiety).  We'd have to sit at each station for ten plus minutes waiting for previous trains to move ahead and clear the tracks.  Many angry passengers. 

 I love Sydney and it will always have a special place in my heart.  I had no regrets or sadness leaving because I got to experience every aspect of the city, really get to know it and made it my own.   I will probably never return, but when I think of it it will always be of happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment